Area near Howard University Hospital evacuated due to gas leak

fire leak dc fire
Firefighters work to contain a gas leak.

fire leak dc fire
A section of Howard University Hospital had to be evacuated due to a gas leak.

fire leak dc fire
Firefighters stop a gas leak in Northwest D.C. Tuesday.

(1/3)
fire leak dc fire
fire leak dc fire
fire leak dc fire

A large gas main breach in a residential area in Northwest D.C. caused homes and a section of a hospital to be evacuated Tuesday.

The leak was reported around 1 p.m. on the 400 block of Elm Street NW near Howard University Hospital. DC Fire and EMS evacuated the homes and the hospital’s ambulatory care center because gas could be smelled inside the building.

Washington Gas placed protective hose lines, dug up the street and placed a clamp line. The leak was contained around 4:30 p.m.

Firefighters took readings in homes and the hospital area, determining levels were normal and it was safe for everyone — including the hospital — to return.

The leak was caused by a third-party utility, DC Fire and EMS confirms.

Below is the area where it happened.

WTOP’s Zeke Hartner contributed to this report.

 

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2020 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up