Carbon monoxide in DC apartment sends 4 to hospital

WASHINGTON — Two adults and two children are in the hospital after D.C. firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide Sunday morning at an apartment in Northeast.

The adults were treated for elevated levels of carbon monoxide, and the children were transported to the hospital as a precaution.

The levels have dropped, as firefighters ventilated the unit and continue to monitor the readings.

The source of the carbon monoxide leak was the water heater, D.C. Fire said.

The apartment is on the 700 block of 51st Street Northeast.

WTOP’s Sae Robinson contributed to this report.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

Abigail Constantino

Abigail Constantino started her journalism career writing for a local newspaper in Fairfax County, Virginia. She is a graduate of American University and The George Washington University.

Federal News Network Logo

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up