With Prince George’s, Anne Arundel and Charles counties being added to the list of Maryland jurisdictions that now require masks to go shopping during this coronavirus crisis, you might find yourself scrambling to come up with a face covering.
As the new restrictions go into effect, Anne Arundel County’s health officer is out with a video on how to make your own mask, with no sewing required.
It involves folding a bandana multiple times, inserting a coffee filter (if one is available) and using rubber bands or hair ties to secure the ends to your ears.
“There’s over six layers here and that’s really what makes this effective,” said Dr. Nilesh Kalyanaraman in a video posted online. “They end up looking like you’re robbing a train back in the 1910s, but they work.”
Here are more ways to make a face mask.
- Sign up for news alerts from WTOP
- Coronavirus: Are you immune if you recover? Experts uncertain
- Northern Virginia hospitals meeting the challenge of coronavirus
- Where to get tested for COVID-19 in the DC region
- Coronavirus test results in D.C., Maryland and Virginia
- Coronavirus FAQ: What you need to know