Fund started to help Md. firefighter who lost home

WASHINGTON — A volunteer firefighter is trying to pick up the pieces of his life after his home burned to the ground early Friday in Lusby, Maryland. The volunteer was responding to the blaze with his volunteer team but had no idea it was his own home.

He fought the flames while fighting back emotions as he dealt with the fact that he was watching his life go up in flames, Fox 5 reports.

The fire was discovered by a neighbor at 5:36 a.m., according to a news release from the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal. It began in the master bedroom of the residence, located in the 11-thousand block of Rawhide Road, and is believed to be caused by an electrical event involving an outlet. No injuries were reported and there was no sprinkler system in the home.

The firefighter’s comrades are coming to his rescue to help raise money for his loss. Funding accounts have been established to assist the local volunteer in his time of need.

There are two ways to donate: A GoFundMe page and through the Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department website.

DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

© 2015 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

Federal News Network Logo

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up