WASHINGTON --An independent living complex for senior citizens was evacuated Friday night after a fire broke out in the electrical room on the bottom floor.
According to fire officials, problems with a transformer outside of the complex on the 600 block of North Madison Street in Arlington,Va., caused a fire in the electrical equipment inside.
The building's sprinkler system quickly contained the fire -- which was localized and had not reached any of the residences -- before arriving firefighters could put it out. The senior residents were evacuated from the approximately 100 apartments, nevertheless, and sheltered at a nearby church until officials could come out to turn off the electricity and gas. No injuries were reported, though one resident was transported to the hospital for an unrelated condition.
Residents were still awaiting the green light to go home as of midnight.
© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.