Pothole Patrol: How to report potholes in the area

WASHINGTON — In the days and weeks ahead, potholes will bloom on area roads as predictably as flowers in spring. Driving into a pothole can cause a blown tire, a bent wheel rim or worse yet, damage to the car’s suspension system.

Many motorists may be unaware that they can submit pothole damage claims to the government agency responsible for maintaining the road and thus obligated to fill the potholes.

The rain and snow, changing temperatures and salt all contribute to the creation of potholes.

Damage from potholes on Virginia state roads are handled by VDOT’s customer service center, which can be reached at 800-367-7623 or online.

Damage claims in Maryland are filed with the Claims Department at the Maryland Treasurer’s Office.  The number 410-260-7684 or 800-942-0162.  The office can also be contacted online.

But if the pothole is not on a state road, the motorist would have to contact the individual county’s department of Public Works or Transportation.

Claims for pothole damage on D.C. streets are filed with the Office of Risk Management.

Read more about government claims for pothole damage here.

To report a pothole:

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up