Va. man shot 3 times by US Park Police dies; family says he was unarmed

WASHINGTON – A Fairfax County man who was shot three times in the head has died nearly two weeks after a violent encounter with U.S. Park Police and his family is demanding answers.

The family of Bijan Ghaisar, age 25 and a 2010 Langley High School graduate, said the accountant was unarmed.

His head wounds caused irreversible brain damage and he died Monday night in the same hospital where he was born, the family said in a statement.

Bijan Ghaisar was a graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University and his family describes him as a ”kind and gentle soul.” (Courtesy Ghaisar family)

“The reason for the murder of our son has yet to be determined, though no reasoning could possibly justify the actions of the one or more Park Police officers involved in this unthinkable act, ” the statement said.

Ghaisar was shot after police said that he was involved in a hit-and-run crash and then led police on a short chase into Fairfax County on the George Washington Memorial Parkway on Nov. 17.

The FBI is leading an independent investigation of the Park Police officers’ actions and confirmed Ghaisar’s death.

Ghaisar graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2015 with a degree in accounting. He worked in the family’s accounting firm in McLean.

On his Facebook Page, Ghaiser’s profile photo urges others to vote. His page is full of family photos showing him embracing his father and sister. But those relatives are now mourning the death of the first-generation, American-born citizen of Iranian heritage.

“Bijan was an upstanding citizen in his community. He was loved by all — a kind and gentle soul … We trust the investigation will uncover what happened and permit justice for our son,” the statement said.

Megan Cloherty

WTOP Investigative Reporter Megan Cloherty primarily covers breaking news, crime and courts.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up