WASHINGTON — The last thing anyone wants this Thanksgiving is for a fire to gobble up their house.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue is sharing some tips this year from the Consumer Product Safety Commission for those who want to use a turkey fryer to cook up dinner.
- Use turkey fryers outside only and away from your home.
- Never use a turkey fryer in a garage or on a porch.
- Completely thaw and dry turkey before cooking.
- Do not overfill the oil in the turkey fryer.
- If the oil begins to smoke, immediately turn the gas supply off.
- Never leave the turkey fryer unattended.
For those who have forgotten the age-old wisdom of “fire bad,” the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has video to illustrate how turkey fryers and housing don’t really get along.