Police: Abducted woman dead after shootout on I-95 in Va.

A woman who police say was abducted from her home in New York is dead after a shootout and police chase in Prince William County, Virginia, Wednesday night.

The man suspected of abducting 34-year-old Tatiana David early Wednesday morning — identified as Michael C. Davis, of Richmond — was also shot and suffered life-threatening injuries, police said.

Authorities in New York said David and Davis had been in a previous relationship and had a 4-year-old child together.

Davis was suspected of abducting David shortly after 7:20 a.m. Wednesday in the town of Ithaca in upstate New York after a witness saw the woman being forced into the white SUV by Davis against her will, according to police.

A news release from New York State Police said Virginia state troopers first spotted the white Jeep Cherokee that Davis was driving crossing into Virginia several hours later — at about 9:25 p.m. Wednesday.

When Virginia troopers tried to pull the Jeep over on Interstate 95 near the Backlick Road exit in Springfield about 9:40 p.m., they said the driver initially stopped and then sped away, later crashing into a guardrail in Dumfries and continuing heading south toward Exit 148 in Stafford.

The Jeep went off the road and crashed into a wooded area at about 10:05 p.m., police said, at which point, Davis exited the Jeep and began firing at Virginia state troopers, who returned fire. He was critically wounded in the gunfire and flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital.

A Virginia State Police spokeswoman said Davis was still being treated for his injuries at the hospital as of Thursday afternoon.

David, the woman who was abducted, was found dead outside the Jeep at the site of the crash, with an apparent gunshot wound.

Virginia State Police said previously that none of the troopers involved in the shootout were injured, but all involved are being put on administrative leave while an investigation into the shooting is underway.

Police said a gun was also recovered from the Jeep.

The Fairfax County Police Department said one of its officers was also involved, but provided no further details as state police are leading the investigation.

Southbound traffic on I-95 was blocked for several hours after the shooting. Some lanes had reopened by early Thursday, and all lanes reopened by early afternoon.

A map of where the deadly shooting happened is below.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2023 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Jack Moore

Jack Moore joined WTOP.com as a digital writer/editor in July 2016. Previous to his current role, he covered federal government management and technology as the news editor at Nextgov.com, part of Government Executive Media Group.

Hugh Garbrick

Hugh graduated from the University of Maryland’s journalism college in 2020. While studying, he interned at the Queen Anne & Magnolia News, a local paper in Seattle, and reported for the school’s Capital News Service. Hugh is a lifelong MoCo resident, and has listened to the local radio quite a bit.

Federal News Network Logo

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up