WASHINGTON — In the wake of last month’s Florida school shootings, police in Prince William County, Virginia, have been investigating several school threats. Six students face charges so far.
Those students charged, however, were found to not be a danger, according to police.
The latest case involves a 12-year-old student at Beville Middle School in Dale City. In an Instagram post, police said, he suggested an act of violence at the school. On Friday, a school resource officer and detectives identified that student as the post’s author.
That student was charged with making threats of serious bodily injury on school property, and was released to a family member.
Two other students were also charged last week for making threats on school grounds: a 14-year-old at Rippon Middle School in Woodbridge and a 12-year-old from Lake Ridge Middle School, also in Woodbridge.
As investigations progressed, Officer Nathan Probus said, “we determined that although the threat was not credible, we still believed that the amount of anxiety that it caused and [the statements that were made were] not a joke.”
The students face felony charges, said Probus, who added that most of these cases are handled through the juvenile court system.
The police department, Probus said, assures the Prince William County community that each threat is taken seriously and is investigated.
“School security is one of our highest callings really in the police department,” Probus said.
Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.