WASHINGTON — Giant Food has removed brands of chili seasoning kits from store shelves because they may contain peanut and almond allergens that are not declared on the products’ ingredient statements.
These products are safe to consume for individuals who do not suffer from a peanut or almond allergy, Giant Food says in a statement.
The following products are included in this recall and follow a broader recall by Reily Foods Co.
- Carroll Shelby Chili Mix, 4 oz., UPC 7239610000
- Carroll Shelby White Chicken Chili, 3 oz, UPC 7239610019
- Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Kit, 3.625 oz., UPC 7109200069
- Wick Fowler False Alarm Chili Kit, 3.25 oz., UPC 710920011
Giant Food says it has not yet received any reports of illnesses to date. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts or almonds may run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product, according to the food retailer.
Symptoms of food allergies typically appear from within a few minutes to two hours after a person has eaten the food to which he or she is allergic. Allergic reactions can include:
- flushed skin or rash
- tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth
- face, tongue, or lip swelling
- vomiting and/or diarrhea
- abdominal cramps
- coughing or wheezing
- dizziness and/or lightheadedness
- swelling of the throat and vocal cords
- difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness.
Customers who have purchased the product should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant for a full refund, Giant Food says. If consumers are looking for additional information on the recall, they are encouraged to call Reily Foods at 1-800-535-1961 or visit www.reilyfoods.com for more information.