D.C. police detective shot in attempted carjacking, search underway for those involved

WASHINGTON — An off-duty D.C. police detective was shot early Wednesday morning during an attempted carjacking and another off-duty was attacked, and a search is underway for people involved.

A Metropolitan Police Department detective is in stable condition after being shot multiple times near the Suitland Parkway at about 2:50 a.m. The suspects attempted to steal the detective’s vehicle, shot the detective and then fled the scene in a burgundy Nissan Altima with New York plates, according to MPD Police Chief Cathy Lanier.

“They opened fire on his car and then started ramming the car,” Lanier says, adding that at this point, “it doesn’t appear that the detective ever had a time to fire back.”

Police say the same group of people who fired at the detective fired shots at another off-duty officer in Southeast Washington Wednesday morning as well, according to The Washington Post. The other off-duty officer was not injured.

The two shootings came during a sudden surge in gun violence in D.C. Since Friday, at least 21 people have shot, including seven overnight Wednesday.

One person is in police custody following a wild chase that went into Prince George’s County, returned to D.C. near RFK Stadium and then continued to Northeast D.C., Lanier says. At some point during the chase, at least two people fled on foot and police are still searching for them.

On Wednesday evening, police identified the arrested suspect as 27-year-old Romeo Hayes of Southwest, according to The Post. He was charged with two counts of assault with intent to kill.

Lanier says police are searching D.C. and Prince George’s County for the other suspects.

The detective — whose name has not yet been released — is out of surgery and is in stable condition.

Police have the Altima and are seeking information about any other people who may be involved.

There is a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction. If you have information, call police at 202-727-9099.

The search led to street closures through rush hour. All lanes of the roads reopened by 11:10 a.m.

Below is a map with the location of the staging area:

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up