WASHINGTON — Teeth-rattling potholes can be spotted around the D.C. region after a harsh winter, and road crews have been filling them in the thousands.
During Potholepalooza 2014, D.C.’s month-long campaign to fill potholes, District Department of Transportation employees filled more than 11,100 potholes. The campaign ended May 9.
Since January, DDOT has filled more than 41,400 potholes — more than twice the number the department filled in 2013.
Since Potholepalooza began in 2009, DDOT crews have filled almost 24,910 potholes during the annual campaign.
This year was particularly challenging because of the weather, says DDOT Spokesman Reggie Sanders.
“We’ve had some really extreme weather,” Sanders says. “A lot of the potholes we wanted to get to, we would start and then the snow would come and we would have to start all over again.”
In Virginia, the commonwealth’s department of transportation patched more than 146,000 potholes in March and April.
VDOT conducts pothole repairs on state-maintained roads year-round and says it will continue to address the roadway hazards. Repairs are prioritized based on severity and location.
Maryland State Highway Association has not released information about the number of potholes it has filled in 2014, but workers fill about 1,000 per day, a spokesperson says.
SHA crews repair potholes weekdays during non-peak travel times, according to information on its website.
Here’s how you can report potholes to some cities and counties in the area:
- The District:
Phone: Call 311 or 202-737-4404
Twitter: Send tweets to:@ddotdc
- Virginia Department of Transportation: 1-800-367-7623
- Alexandria: 703-838-4488
- Anne Arundel County: 410-222-7045; 410-222-6120 (North); 410-222-7940 (Central); 410-222-1933 (South)
- Arlington County: 703-228-6570. To report a pothole press option 3, then option 3 again.
- Calvert County: 410-535-0905 for county roads and 410-535-1748 for state roads
- Charles County: 800-595-7623
- Fairfax City: 703-385-7980
- Fairfax County/Northern Virginia: 703-383-8368
- Frederick County, Md.: 301-600-1564
- Howard County: 410-313- 7450
- Montgomery County: 240-777-0311 or 311
- Prince George’s County: 301-499- 8520
- St. Mary’s County: 301-863-8400 for county roads; 301-475-8035 for state roads
- Md. State Highway Administration: 800-323-MSHA
- Pothole Patrol: Where are the worst potholes?
- Pothole Patrol 2014 (Photos)
- Pothole maintenance falls through cracks due to constant storms
- Pothole causes problems on Clara Barton Parkway
The Associated Press and WTOP’s Nick Iannelli contributed to this report. Follow @WTOP and @WTOPTraffic on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.