Road assailant had ‘murderous intent’

WASHINGTON – An investigator looking into the long-distance road-rage chase that began in Maryland says the suspect “had murderous intent” when he pursued a motorist for miles before shooting and killing him.

Timothy Davison, of Maine, was driving home in the early hours of Jan. 4 when he encountered another driver in a dark-colored Ford pickup on Interstate 70 in Maryland.

“We obviously have an individual who was so incensed that he continued to pursue Mr. Davison,” said Pennsylvania State Police Capt. Steven Junkin in a news conference.

The driver of the pickup chased Davison, 28, on Interstate 81 northward for about 15 miles, from Interstate 70 in Maryland to a few miles into Pennsylvania before forcing him off the road near Dillsburg and shooting him multiple times, Junkin said.

The assailant is believed to have then turned around and headed south.

Davison died of multiple gunshot wounds, although authorities are not disclosing the type of weapon used.

There is no evidence that Davison, who made several calls to 911 while being pursued, did anything to provoke the attack.

The suspect is believed to have been a man driving a dark-colored Ford Ranger XLT pickup that likely has damage on the driver’s side, possibly silver paint – the color of Davison’s SUV – on it as well. That model of pickup has not been made for about a decade, Junkin said.

Because the shooting occurred around 2 a.m., the color of the pickup is not certain, but police said it may be blue. Investigators have asked body shops in Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia to look out for such a vehicle.

Officers from the Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia state police as well as the FBI are working together to investigate the shooting.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-472-8477.

Davison, an outdoorsman who worked as a pipe fitter and welder, was traveling home after visiting family members in Florida when the shooting occurred. Family and friends in and around his home in Poland, Maine, are preparing for his funeral on Saturday.

Davison’s father, Timothy Davison Sr., told CNN he learned about his son’s death from the police at his door later that day.

“I can’t begin to tell you what it’s like to hear that,” he said. “It’s not right.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Follow @WTOP on Twitter.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up