D.C. Councilman Thomas Jr. in negotiations to resign

WASHINGTON – D.C. Councilman Harry Thomas Jr. will likely resign from the City Council as part of a plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, according to a source.

The D.C. attorney general alleges Thomas misappropriated more than $300,000 in city funds for youth services for personal use.

FBI and IRS agents raided his home on 17th Street in Ward 5 on Dec. 2. They searched and seized a Chevy Tahoe, a motorcycle and several plastic bags and manila envelopes with evidence.

Earlier, Thomas agreed in a civil suit with the D.C. attorney general to pay back the money he was accused of taking. But the councilmember missed a payment of $50,000 that was due last week.

The source cannot say when the councilman would resign, but that the plea agreement with prosecutors is predicated on his resignation from the council.

Thomas has insisted he would not resign and has maintained his innocence, but he told ABC7 news that he could not confirm or deny reports that he would step down. His lawyer said he would not comment on the reports.

On Wednesday, Thomas’ seat on the council dais was empty as members met for their monthly legislative session.

If the seat is declared vacant, a special election must be held within 114 days. Any such election would be open to all voters in Ward 5, regardless of party affiliation.

Council Chairman Kwame Brown says his office is prepared to oversee constituent services for Ward 5 if Thomas does resign.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)

Related Categories:

Latest News | Local News | Washington, DC News

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up