An apartment fire in Silver Spring, Maryland, displaced several families, injured a firefighter and left a dog dead, according to Montgomery County fire spokesman Pete Piringer.
Units from Montgomery County, Prince George’s County and D.C. Fire and Rescue responded around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday to a 2-alarm fire at the Blair Park Garden Apartments in the 7700 block of Eastern Avenue in Silver Spring.
Piringer said more than 85 firefighters across multiple agencies worked to put out a large blaze that had fully engulfed a second-floor apartment unit.
One firefighter was injured and one dog died in the fire.
The failure of a power strip with multiple items plugged into it near a bed is the likely cause of the fire, Piringer said.
The building sustained about $700,000 in damage.
(5/27) Update — 7703 Eastern Av; Area of Origin, 2nd fl bedroom, Multiple items, fan & dehumidifier, plugged into power strip, near bed; Cause, accidental, failure/malfunction of power strip or other electrical component plugged in; Damage, total $700K; 1 dog died; 1 FF injured https://t.co/EHBd5ysZot pic.twitter.com/UWVedzTWXT
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) May 27, 2021
Montgomery County fire officials will be returning to the building Thursday afternoon to provide a safety check, including investigating whether smoke alarms are working properly.
Below is a map of the area: