Driver suffers burns after fire caused by hand sanitizer, cigarette combo

Hand sanitizer and a lit cigarettes don’t mix well. Especially inside a car.

A driver suffered non-life-threatening first and second degree burns on his hands and inner-thighs after his car burst into flames caused by the bad combination Thursday in Montgomery County, Maryland.

The incident occurred at around 5:30 p.m. at Federal Plaza shopping center in Rockville, Maryland.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said the embers from the man’s cigarette lit a handful of hand-sanitizer. The car quickly caught on fire in the middle of the parking lot.

The male driver was able to escape as flames engulfed the vehicle, turning it to a metal skeleton.

Paramedics transported the man to a hospital when he is expected to recover.

A map of the area is below.

Luke Garrett

Luke Garrett is a D.C. native dedicated to journalism. He is the co-creator, host and producer of the original WTOP podcast, “Is It Normal Yet?!” The podcast debuted in 2021 and takes a weekly look at how the D.C. region is dealing with coronavirus.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow WTOP on Twitter and Instagram to engage in conversation about this article and others.

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2022 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up