ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — A statue of a Confederate cavalryman has been removed from outside a courthouse in Maryland and placed near where a privately run Potomac River ferry named for a Confederate general docks.
Montgomery County Executive Ike Leggett tells local media the statue was moved Saturday. Bethesda Beat first reported the move.
The bronze soldier cost about $100,000 to relocate.
County officials struck a deal in February with White’s Ferry in Dickerson to take the 13-ton (12-metric ton) statue. The White’s Ferry boat is named for Confederate Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early.
The United Daughters of the Confederacy donated the statue to the county in 1913. Leggett issued an order in 2015 to remove it from government property.
The move comes as other communities are scrutinizing public displays of Old South symbols.
Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.