Carbon monoxide leak causes apartment evacuation in Md.

A carbon monoxide leak caused the evacuation of 150 hi-rise apartments in Montgomery County, Maryland, Monday afternoon, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.

The Park Montgomery apartments on Piney Branch Road in Silver Spring was evacuated around 4 p.m., after C-O was detected throughout the building, likely a result of a welding project in the boiler room that wasn’t given proper ventilation.

Between 800-900 people were out on the street for several hours and evaluated by medics.

No injuries were reported.

Below is a map of where the apartment complex is located.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2019 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up