Va. police warn parents of new drug trend among teens

Police are warning parents about a new drug trend they’ve seen over the past year involving teenagers and e-cigarettes or vaporizers.

WASHINGTON — Police are warning parents about a new drug trend they’ve seen over the past year involving teenagers — smoking the oil extracted from a pot plant using an e-cigarette or vaporizer.

Fairfax County police say this trend is being seen particularly among high school students and young adults.

“Hash” or “hash oil” is extracted from a marijuana plant and has high levels of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the main ingredient in marijuana and the chemical that’s responsible for the high.

This oil can be inhaled via e-cigarettes and vaping. Police say high levels of THC can cause hallucinations, panic attack or even violent behavior.

Police add that it’s hard to tell what is really is in hash oil. For example, BHO (Butane Honey Oil) is made by using lighter fluid or some other solvent to strip the THC out of the marijuana.

The hash oil, according to police, comes in different types, textures and THC concentrates. Some other names that this potent pot derivative include: BHO (Butane Honey Oil), Wax or Earwax, dab or dabs, budder/butter, crumble, honeycomb, pull, snap, 710 (OIL upside down) and Shatter.

Police say the hash oil can range from 40 to 80 percent THC concentrate levels. But Shatter is extremely high in THC — as much as 90 percent.

Police are also urging parents to be aware of the new ways of buying illegal drugs these days, like ordering online.

When the substance is smoked using e-cigarettes, police say it’s basically non-detectable since there’s no odor.

Police say to keep an eye out for the following behavior from your teen:

  • Monitor the mail; Does your son or daughter seem anxious for it to arrive on a particular day or week?
  • Monitor your son or daughter’s Internet and phone communication.
  • Look for signs and symptoms of drug intoxication.
  • Research trending drugs and related information.
  • Report any suspected involvement or activity to police.
  • Talk to a School Resource Officer (SRO) and/or encourage your high school-aged kids to talk to an SRO about drug abuse or trending drugs and related activity.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

© 2016 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.