To halt the spread of the novel coronavirus, traffic control measures will continue around the Tidal Basin in order to discourage mass visitation of the area’s cherry blossoms.
From 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday, the following roads will be closed:
- The Memorial Bridge
- Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Potomac River Freeway (all exits to Ohio Drive and Independence Avenue)
- Rock Creek Parkway/Potomac Parkway Drive (between Virginia Avenue and Independence SW)
- Independence Avenue between Ohio Drive and 14th Street SW
- 23rd Street between Constitution Avenue and Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Henry Bacon Drive between Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW
- 17th Street between Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW
- 15th Street between Constitution Avenue NW and Independence Avenue SW
- Maine Avenue between Independence and 12th Street SW
- All vehicular exits to East Potomac Park and West Potomac Park
In addition, Parking Lots A, B, and C on Ohio Drive S and East Potomac Park between the East Potomac Golf Course and Hains Port. Additional closures will ensue should excessive visitation continues.
The National Park Service strongly urges people against visiting the Tidal Basin in order to help flatten the curve and help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Lately, social distancing has not been possible due to high visitor volume.
The cherry blossoms reached peak bloom Friday.
Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.
© 2020 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.