WASHINGTON — The Secret Service will close several streets late Saturday and early Sunday for “a live fire calibration of a system that provides real time detection and geolocation of gunshots fired.”
The exercise will consist of firing shots into a “bullet trap.” Multiple rounds will be fired from various weapons in three shot increments, to simulate “a multiple gunshot event,” according to a Secret Service statement released Friday.
The exercise will be conducted near both the White House and the Naval Observatory.
The following areas will be closed:
- Constitution Avenue NW, between 15th and 17th streets NW
- 15th Street NW, between Pennsylvania and Constitution avenues NW
- 17th Street NW, from Constitution to New York Avenues NW
- E St NW, from 15th to 17th streets NW
- Observatory Circle, from Massachusetts Avenue NW to the South Gate of the Naval Observatory
© 2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.