Eight kids are in good health after they ate edibles during recess at their elementary school on Monday in Charles County, Maryland.
County schools spokeswoman Sarah Taylor said the incident happened at C. Paul Barnhart Elementary School in Waldorf.
A teacher saw a group of students passing around a bag of what appeared to be candy, and upon further inspection noticed the bag had a label or marking that contained edible candy. Edible candy may contain cannabis in some form that can be ingested.
The teacher confiscated the bag and reported what happened to school administrators, who called 911 for medical assistance and placed the school in a Hold status for about 40 minutes, a letter from Principal Brian King to parents said.
Charles County schools said the EMS Chief was monitoring students, but none were hospitalized and none exhibited symptoms. They were released to their families Monday afternoon.
It’s not clear to school officials or police how many, if any, of the students actually ate the alleged edible, nor do they have any confirmation that the item confiscated from the students is actually an edible, King said.
The ages of the children aren’t known at this time.
“Please talk with your child about bringing inappropriate items to school. Please remember to check your child’s school belongings often to ensure they are not bringing anything to school that is not allowed,” King said.
WTOP’s Megan Cloherty and Abigail Constantino contributed to this report.