Data on speeding, collisions and traffic volumes has persuaded transportation experts in Arlington County, Virginia, to recommend lowering some speed limits on some busy streets.
The streets that would be impacted are the following:
- Army Navy Drive from South Joyce Street to 12th Street South
- Army Navy Drive from 25th Street South to South Joyce Street
- Kirkwood Road from Lee Highway to Washington Boulevard
- Yorktown Boulevard/Little Falls Road from 26th Street North to Williamsburg Boulevard
- South Eads Street from South Glebe Road to 24th Street South
- South Eads Street from Army Navy Drive to 15th Street South
- 15th Street South from South Hayes Street to Richmond Highway (US Route 1)
Planners said the speed limit should be decreased on Army Navy Drive from South Joyce Street to 12th Street South from 35 mph to 25 mph.
On other busy streets, including South Eads Street from South Glebe Road to 24th Street South, they want the limit to drop from 30 mph to 25 mph.
The county will hold a public hearing on the proposal on July 17.
More details are available online.