DOUG FERGUSON AP Golf Writer
HOYLAKE, England (AP) — How well do you know British Open history? Try this quiz:
1. Of the nine links courses on the current rotation, which is the course that Jack Nicklaus only played once?
c.) Royal Liverpool
2. Who is the youngest British Open champion?
a.) Young Tom Morris
b.) Willie Park Jr.
c.) Ted Ray
3. On what course were the first 12 championships played?
b.) St. Andrews
4. The 16th hole of the first round is the only time Tiger Woods hit driver when he won at Royal Liverpool in 2006. Where did it go?
a.) The 16th fairway
b.) The 17th fairway
c.) The ball was never found
5. Who is the oldest British Open champion?
a.) Old Tom Morris
b.) Willie Park Sr.
c.) Roberto De Vicenzo
6. Eight players have shot 63 in the British Open. Only one of them went on to win. Name him.
a.) Tom Watson
b.) Nick Faldo
c.) Greg Norman
7. Who was the last player to win the British Open in his first appearance?
a.) Ben Curtis
b.) Tom Watson
c.) John Daly
8. Who was the last amateur to win the British Open?
a.) Harold Hilton
b.) Bobby Jones
c.) Dai Rees
9. Which links course in England was the first to host the British Open?
a.) Royal Liverpool
b.) Royal Lytham & St. Annes
c.) Royal St. George’s
10. Who is the only player to win the British Open on five links courses?
a.) Harry Vardon
b.) Peter Thomson
c.) Tom Watson
11. Sergio Garcia played in the last group with Tiger Woods at Royal Liverpool in 2006 dressed all in yellow. To what was he compared?
a.) Tweety Bird
b.) Second banana
12. Name the first American-born player to win the British Open?
a.) Bobby Jones
b.) Walter Hagen
c.) George Duncan
13. Which of the five players with the career Grand Slam never won the claret jug in Scotland?
a.) Gary Player
b.) Gene Sarazen
c.) Ben Hogan
14. Who was the last English-born player to win the claret jug in England?
a.) Nick Faldo
b.) Alfred Padgham
c.) Tony Jacklin
15. What trophy was awarded at the first British Open?
a.) claret jug
b.) championship belt
c.) silver sword
16. Name the only player to win the British Open twice in a playoff.
a.) Jack Nicklaus
c.) Harry Vardon
17. Who holds the record for lowest 72-hole score in the British Open?
a.) Tiger Woods
b.) Greg Norman
c.) Seve Ballesteros
18. Who holds the record for largest margin of victory in the British Open?
b.) Old Tom Morris
c.) Louis Oosthuizen
19. What feat by Seve Ballesteros in the British Open will be the most difficult to repeat?
a.) He didn’t hit a single fairway in the final round and still broke par.
b.) He saved par out of a bunker left-handed and right-handed in the same round.
c.) He won the claret jug on a Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A look at winter weather news from around the D.C. area.
A look at some of the best chili recipes to keep you warm from the inside all winter long.