DOUG FERGUSON AP Golf Writer
PINEHURST, N.C. (AP) — How well do you know the U.S. Open? Try this trivia quiz:
FRONT NINE (5 points each)
1. Where was the first U.S. Open played?
a.) Pinehurst No. 2
c.) Shinnecock Hills
2. Who has the most majors without ever having won the U.S. Open?
a.) Phil Mickelson
b.) Harry Vardon
c.) Sam Snead
3. Which continent where golf is played has never produced a U.S. Open champion?
b.) South America
4. Who has been runner-up at the U.S. Open the most times?
b.) Greg Norman
5. Who was the last U.S. Open champion who had to go through sectional qualifying?
a.) Michael Campbell
b.) Lucas Glover
c.) Lee Janzen
6. Who was the last U.S. Open champion to successfully defend his title?
a.) Ben Hogan
b.) Tiger Woods
c.) Curtis Strange
7. Who was the youngest U.S. Open champion?
a.) Rory McIlroy
b.) Johnny McDermott
c.) Gene Sarazen
8. Name the last player to shoot 63 in a U.S. Open.
a.) Johnny Miller
b.) Thomas Bjorn
c.) Vijay Singh
9. Who won the first major championship held at Pinehurst No. 2?
a.) Payne Stewart
b.) Jack Nicklaus
c.) Denny Shute
BACK NINE (10 points each)
10. Who is the only player to complete the career Grand Slam at the U.S. Open?
a.) Tiger Woods
b.) Gary Player
c.) Bobby Jones
11. Retief Goosen, Jason Gore and Olin Browne were the top three players after 54 holes at Pinehurst No. 2 in 2005. What did they all have in common on Sunday?
a.) They all wore khaki trousers and a white shirt.
b.) They were spotted in the merchandise tent before the final round.
c.) None of them broke 80.
12. Who holds the U.S. Open record for most consecutive wins?
b.) Curtis Strange
c.) Willie Anderson
13. Name the last U.S. Open champion to win in his first attempt.
b.) Francis Ouimet
c.) Jack Fleck
14. Name the only player to lose a playoff three times in the U.S. Open.
b.) Sam Snead
c.) Arnold Palmer
15. Who was the last U.S. Open champion to never break par in any of the four rounds?
a.) Geoff Ogilvy
b.) Orville Moody
c.) Corey Pavin
16. Who is the oldest player to win the U.S. Open?
a.) Julius Boros
b.) Raymond Floyd
c.) Hale Irwin
17. What is the U.S. Open trophy called?
a.) The Havemeyer Trophy
b.) The Campbell Cup
c.) The U.S. Open Trophy
18. Name the only player to break par in three consecutive U.S. Opens?
a.) Curtis Strange
19th HOLE (25 points)
In the last 100 years, only one player has won the U.S. Open at the same course twice. Name him.
a.) Bobby Jones
c.) Payne Stewart
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The D.C. area has lots of water parks that combine cool water and fun.