WASHINGTON — An eight-year-old Laurel boy is being called “truly amazing” by firefighters after he probably saved his family from their burning house on Thursday morning.
NBC4 reports that Joel Crum was asleep early Thursday when he was awakened by smoke, flames and the smoke detector.
He knew what to do: “I said, ‘Fire! Fire!'” Joel says. “I woke up my mom and my brother and my dad.”
The family got out OK, but the house is badly damaged. Firefighters believe a grill was accidentally left on.
Asked by NBC4 whether he’s a superhero, Joel thought for a second and replied, “Yes.”
See the report from NBC4:
Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.
A look at winter weather news from around the D.C. area.
Before you open a store-bought jar of queso or whip up the same old bean dip, take a look at these dip recipes.