Barbecue grills are dangerous if not handled properly.
WASHINGTON — Sizzling meat and charring veggies over open flames can be a tasty part of the summer experience. But barbecue grills are dangerous if not treated with proper respect.
“It’s best to grill about 20 feet away from anything that can burn,” says Pete Piringer, spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service.
“You should never leave a grill or any kind of cooking unattended, not even for a minute,” says Piringer.
Some safe grilling advice from Piringer includes the following:
Tips for safe use of gas grills include the following:
Whenever using any kind of grill, it should be positioned in a well-ventilated area on a flat, stable surface. Never use a grill in-doors or in a garage.
Cooking indoors also can be dangerous.
“Cooking is the leading cause of fires across the nation,” says Piringer.
In fact, on Sunday there were four house fires in Montgomery County caused by cooking.
“Fortunately they were all small and only one person was hurt with a minor burn from touching a hot pan,” says Piringer.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter and on the WTOP Facebook page.