WASHINGTON – A gas leak in Southwest D.C. Wednesday morning caused an evacuation and street closure.
Washington Gas officials say the leak occurred after a construction worker hit a 4-inch pipe at 200 C Street SW. That’s the address of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration building.
The portion of the building where it happened was abandoned, but people in the area were evacuated and 2nd Street SW was closed as a precaution.
The D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department responded to the scene. Washington Gas also had crews on the scene making repairs to shut off the gas.
It’s unknown whether service was disrupted to Washington Gas customers.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.
For the hundreds of thousands of migrants on the move across Europe, the pace of a day is dictated by forces almost entirely beyond their control.