WASHINGTON – Personal grooming is of the utmost importance, but there are certain hygiene faux pas that need to be nipped in the bud. Ask Men has the the top 10 mistakes that men should never make.
- Watch out for the cologne. Targeting pulse points like the wrists and behind the ears is appropriate – but a heavy douse from head-to-toe could spell (or smell) disaster.
- Don’t be a lizard. Dry skin doesn’t look or feel nice, so using a light moisturizer can do wonders. And, while you’re at it, make sure it has an SPF to help protect against UV rays.
- Keep those nails short and clean. Ask Men insists there’s no shame in heading to a professional every six weeks to maintain them properly.
- Don’t dry shave and don’t use worn out razors. Need we say more?
- Leave the 80’s in the past. Glopping on hair gel can turn a head into a helmet – a flaky helmet. A light paste or putty shapes hair while keeping a natural look.
- Many men have male pattern baldness and there’s no sense in denying it. Finding the right hair cut and taking advantage of over-the-counter remedies can help. If those aren’t enough, don’t be afraid to talk to your doctor. If your options have run as sparse as your hair, go for a clean shave.
- Ear and nose hair is unacceptable. Use a small pair of grooming scissors to keep unsightly hair where it should be: out of sight.
- Unkempt facial hair isn’t necessarily more appealing than other forms. A simple shave up the jaw line is an easy way to keep groomed without much effort.
- And, while we’re on the subject, watch that body hair. Invest in a trimmer to tame down your natural masculinity.
For more tips and tricks, visit AskMen.com.
WTOP’s David Burd contributed to this report. Follow “>WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)