Tim Bracken, wtop.com
This Father's Day weekend brings the usual Metro delays, and baseball games at Nationals Park could make them worse. On Saturday, the Washington Soap Box Derby and the Purple Stride 5K bring some fun to the District. The Columbia Pike Jazz Festival and the Dash for Dads 5K will close some streets in Arlington, and I-66 has a new long-term ramp closure.
Read on for the details, and have a great weekend!
Metro track work
Get ready for another weekend of Metro delays of up to 30 minutes. Here's what you need to know:
- Trains will single track between Takoma and Forest Glen and between Friendship Heights and Medical Center.
- Trains between Shady Grove and Glenmont will run every 24 minutes.
- Extra trains will run every 12 minutes through downtown.
- Delays of at least 15 minutes are expected.
- Buses will replace trains between Franconia and Van Dorn Street.
- Trains will single track on the Blue and Orange lines between Eastern Market and Stadium Armory.
- Buses will replace Blue Line trains at the Franconia-Springfield and Van Dorn Street stations.
- Delays of 30 minutes are expected.
- Free shuttle bus service will be offered between Franconia-Springfield, Van Dorn Street and Eisenhower Avenue stations.
- Yellow Line trains run every 20 minutes between Huntington and Mount Vernon Square.
- Delays of at least 10 minutes are expected.
Washington Soap Box Derby
The D.C. Soap Box Derby is scheduled for Saturday. Between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., participants will race down Constitution Avenue next to the Capitol Building. More info here.
Purple Stride 5K
The Purple Stride 5K takes place Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at Freedom Plaza. A second walk will step off at 8:35 a.m.
I-66 long-term ramp closure
On Friday at 10 a.m., VDOT will close the left HOV exit from I-66 eastbound to the Outer Loop of the Beltway. This closure will remain in effect until later this year when it will reopen as a combined HOV-3 and I-495 express lanes ramp.
HOV drivers will be directed to use the right lane ramp to the Outer Loop while the closure is in effect. I-66 eastbound HOV traffic on the Inner Loop heading towards Tysons will not be affected.
Telegraph Road and Beltway ramp closures
The following will be closed continuously from Friday, June 15 at 9 p.m. until Monday, June 18 at 5 a.m.:
- Telegraph Road north and south between the Beltway and Duke Street
- Telegraph Rd north ramp to the Inner Loop
- Inner and Outer Loop ramps to Telegraph Road and Duke Street
- Outer Loop ramp to Huntington Ave
- Access to Telegraph road and Duke Street from Pershing Ave
The following will be closed from Friday, June 15 at 9 p.m. until Saturday, June 16 at 3 p.m.:
- Telegraph Road south ramp to the Outer Loop
- Telegraph Road south ramp to N. Kings Highway
Dash for Dads 5K
In Arlington, police will enforce street closures for the Dash for Dads 5k this Sunday:
- South Joyce Street closed between South 15th Street and Army Navy Drive will be closed from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m.
- Army Navy Drive closed between South Joyce Street and South 25th Street will be closed from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m.
In Arlington, the Columbia Pike Blues Festival is scheduled for Saturday between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. The following streets will be closed from 7:30 a.m. and 10 p.m.:
- Walter Reed Drive will be closed from Columbia Pike to S. 9th Street.
- S. 9th Road will be closed from S. Garfield Street to Walter Reed Drive.
- S. 9th Street will be closed from S. Highland Street to Walter Reed Drive.
- Watch out for temporary "No Parking" signs in the area. Illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, call 703-228-4252.
Taste of Reston
The Taste of Reston festival is scheduled for Friday and Saturday at the Reston Town Center. The festival will feature live entertainment on 4 stages, local vendors, and a carnival.
Manassas Wine and Jazz Festival
The Manassas Wine and Jazz Festival takes place Sunday between 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. at the Loy E. Harris Pavilion. The festival will feature over a dozen wineries, food, and three jazz headliners.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)