Thomas Warren, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - From $12 tickets to $6 popcorn to $7 drinks, going to the movies has become a costly venture.
According to the National Association of Theatre Owners, the average movie ticket price in 2011 was $7.93, up from $7.89 in 2010.
However, there are ways to enjoy the movie-going experience without putting a huge dent in the budget.
- Check the Facebook and Twitter pages of movie theaters. They often have
coupons, or special deals. Regal Cinemas, and Cinemark post coupons for the
concession stands on their pages every week.
- Websites, such as PlasticJungle.com and Cardpool.com often have movie gift cards in
their pool of unwanted gift cards.
- Daily deal websites, including
Groupon.com and LivingSocial.com
will have movie tickets as part of their discount deals.
- Costco and BJ's are two examples of club stores that often sell movie tickets
in bundles. BJ's has a members' deal of four AMC tickets with a popcorn voucher
- Credit cards often come with buying perks, movie tickets possibly being one
of them. Visa Signiture cards offer $5 off $25 worth of Fandango gift
certificates. Check credit card company websites.
- Check whether the theater offers discounts for students, military, seniors,
- After a few weeks, a movie that debuts in a big name movie chain may move to
a smaller one. So, it couldn't hurt to wait it out. The cheaper ticket may be
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)