It's no surprise that Forbes magazine puts Washington at the top of its "10 Cities Most At Risk To a Government Shutdown" list, but the hardest hit cities span across the country, based on the percentage of the local workforce employed by the federal government.
Washington tops the list with a total share of local wages coming from federal government employment at 19 percent.
Forbes' list and percentage of local wages from federal government work:
- Washington, DC, 19 percent
- Bethesda, Md., 13 percent
- Virginia Beach, Va., 12 percent
- Honolulu, Hi., 11 percent
- Dayton, Ohio, 10 percent
- El Paso, Texas, 9 percent
- Colorado Springs, Colo., 8 percent
- Oklahoma City, Okla., 8 percent
- Albuquerque, N.M., 7 percent
- Bakersfield, Calif., 7 percent
© 2013 American City Business Journals, Inc.