WASHINGTON - It's that time of year again - golfers tee off Thursday, June 27 at the AT&T National Golf Tournament in Bethesda, Md.
But there's some important information any fan needs to know.
Most golf fans heading to the tournament take shuttles from lots as far away as the Montgomery County Fairgrounds.
Still, traffic can get sluggish around River Road and other arteries leading to it.
"The Department of Transportation can look at any specific intersection or roadway and adjust the timing of the signals to facilitate traffic flow," says Thomas Street, assistant chief administrative officer for Montgomery County.
Police officers also direct traffic near the tournament.
Here's everything you need to know:
Public parking with shuttle service is available at two locations:
- Rock Spring Lot, 6720 Rockledge Drive in Bethesda. A one-day pass costs $20.
- Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 16 Chestnut St. in Gaithersburg. Thursday and Friday only. A one-day pass costs $10.
- This is located at Preferred Parking Lot F, 7727 Persimmon Tree Lane, adjacent to AT&T National main entrance and is within walking distance to tournament. Operating: Tuesday, June 25-Friday, June 28: 6 a.m.-7 p.m. Single-day passes are available for specific days, ranging from $30 to $50, depending on the day of the week. Many of these are sold out.
Parking passes can be purchased online.
The following bus routes will take spectators to the event:
- T2 from Friendship Heights or Rockville.
- 36 from Bethesda (does not run on on Saturday or Sunday)
More detail For bus schedules, visit Metro's website.
Taxi drop-off and pickup isn't allowed near the main entrance of Congressional Country Club. There will be designated areas within close proximity, with no parking or standing allowed. According to AT&T National, area cab companies have been notified of the designated areas.
Tickets can be purchased online from the online or by calling 800-594-TIXX (8499).
Tickets start at $25 for a one-day, one-person pass to the gallery and go as high as $425 for National Club members. Multi-day passes also are available.
Will-call tickets can be purchased at the main spectator entrance at the Congressional Country Club at these times:
- Monday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Thursday 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Friday 6 a.m. To 7 p.m.
- Saturday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sunday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
AT&T National has a strict mobile device policy. The guidelines are as follows:
- Mobile devices must be on silent.
- No video recording or photographs at any time. Any device with a lens is considered a camera.
- Violations may result in the device being taken away, photos being deleted and/or removal from tournament.
- Calls must be taken to designated cell phone areas.
Designated phone areas:
- Main entrance
- Congressional Clubhouse
- Driving range
- Concession stands
- 11 Green Spectator Village
- Ruth's Chris Steak House
- Green Grey Goose 19th Hole Lounge
- AT&T Fan Zones (7 Tee & 18 Tee)
- AT&T Digital Clubhouse
The tournament has strict policies regarding what is permitted on the golf course. The following items are prohibited:
- Beverage containers
- Carried items larger than a small purse
- Folding stools (though folding stools without arms or bags are allowed)
- Large , diaper bags or bag larger than 6" x 6" x 6"
- Picnic baskets
- Radios (XM portable radios are allowed)
- Signs or banners
- Video cameras
Strollers are allowed. All items are subject to search.
No professional camera equipment.
Hands in the air means a golfer needs quiet, and spectators are expected to be silent and not move while a player is about to hit the ball. Additionally, attendees should sit or kneel whenever possible so other fans can view the tournament.
Fans should not cross fairways except for designated spots and marshals will be available to direct those in attendance. Anyone who refuses to obey these rules will be removed.
For more information visit the AT&T National website.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.