Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Holly Acres residents could be forced to move

Monday - 7/9/2012, 5:52am  ET

unfit.JPG
A sign is seen on a mobile home at Holly Acres. (WTOP/Kathy Stewart)
  • Gallery: (3 images)

Holly Acres family packs up

WTOP's Kathy Stewart reports.

Download

WASHINGTON - More than 100 families were left homeless last year after Tropical Storm Lee inundated Holly Acres Mobile Home Park in Prince William County. Some residents were able to move back, but now they could be facing eviction.

County officials contend that several of the homes are "unfit for occupancy."

"Six trailers that are being occupied are being occupied illegally," says Ray Jackson, chief of code enforcement in Prince William County.

But it isn't so simple for the families struggling to pick up the pieces.

"Finally, we have our house and they're going to kick me out," says one resident, adding that she and her four kids have nowhere to go.

Jason Grant, who works with the county, says residents aren't facing legal eviction despite being forced to move.

"It is marking it unfit for occupancy. People cannot live and occupy those units," Grant says.

The battle over occupancy comes after the owner of Holly Acres the sued the county for $8 million.

Mark Moorstein, a lawyer for property owner Hank Ridge, says he wants the county to either pay compensation for lost rent and other income, or allow the mobile home park to be rebuilt.

WTOP's Andrew Mollenbeck contributed to this report. Follow Andrew Mollenbeck and WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)