WASHINGTON - Every day, nearly 100 people die from unintentional poisoning. As part of Poison Prevention Week, it's important to start with medications to keep family members safe.
Some 2,000 people are treated daily in emergency rooms across the country. Dr Linda McGee of Bowie Primary Care says protect yourself.
"Carefully follow the directions on the label of the medication, there are usually such warnings as you don't take it with alcohol," she says.
McGee also recommends turning on the light when giving or taking medicine at night and keeping pills in original bottles.
Always secure the child safety cap each time the medicine is used, and never place the medication on the counter or table where children can reach them. It only takes seconds for a child to reach up and take it.
Another place to check for common causes of unintentional poisonings -- household cleaners.
"You should never mix products together, one example that commonly comes about is mixing of bleach and ammonia and it causes toxic gases," McGee says.
If a unintentional overdose is suspected, call 911 where you can be connected to poison control.
WTOP's Debra Feinstein contributed to this story. Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
"Jenny from the Block" wants you to buy Verizon phones from her.
A Philly bike courier takes his cat on cycling adventures. (Videos)
This cutie needs a new home. She's WTOP's Pet of the Week.
Which big cat had some trouble coughing this up? (Photos)