WASHINGTON - Planning on holding a yard sale? Here are some tips for a successful day.
Shop Smart Magazine has several tips on ways to make money at your next sale:
- Anything goes: Even your broken appliance can be sold, since people look for replacement parts.
- Don't price anything: Ask customers what they are willing to pay.
- Spread the word: Place free ads on websites such as Craigslist and makes signs directing people to your house.
- Go through your things: You may find a $20 bill slipped in to a jacket pocket.
- Start during the week: You'll have less competition on a Thursday or Friday.
- Security: Keep your house locked and keep money and your phone with you.
And the final tip is be nice to people who stop by and they will be more likely to buy something.
Follow @WTOP on Twitter.
© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.