WASHINGTON - Here's a secret that might seem odd: It's better to rent than own.
Boats, timeshares, recreational vehicles and vacation homes are all marketed as good investments. But when maintenance fees, repairs and gas prices are factored in, owning is more expensive and time-consuming in the long run than renting.
The Street has narrowed down a list of the five worst things to buy if you aren't rich enough to stop working:
- Vacation homes - taxes, upkeep and insurance make owning one more expensive than renting one
- Snowmobiles, jet skis and all-terrain vehicles - cost more to own than rent if you don't use them every weekend
- Recreational Vehicles - equal to the price per night of most hotel rooms in the U.S.
- Boats - cost a lot to maintain
- Timeshares - easy to rent at a fraction of the cost of owning one
To read more about the five expensive things you shouldn't buy, read more at The Street.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
The Nickelodeon star's antics continue in New York City.
"Sulu" weighs in on the actor filling his shoes in the new "Star Trek."
She can sing, but can she act? Jewel takes on a famous role.
Clothes have a starring role at the Cannes Film Festival. (Photos)