Continuing our Top 15 list of the most-read Arlington stories of 2012, today we present numbers 6 through 10.
Page view counts for each article are listed in parenthesis. So far this year, ARLnow.com has recorded more than 12 million page views, up from 7.2 million in the same time period last year.
10. Thousands Still Without Power in Arlington (13,267 views) — After the June 29 derecho blew through the area, with winds up to 70 miles per hour, much of Arlington County was in the dark. Some 68,000 Dominion customers in Arlington lost power during or immediately after the storm. Dozens of trees and utility poles were knocked down, numerous local roads were blocked and some gas stations ran out of fuel. On top of it all, sweltering heat followed in the wake of the storm.
9. Woman Dies After Being Hit By Cyclist (13,609 views) — An 80-year-old woman, identified by police as Ita Lapina of Arlington, died after she moved into the path of and was struck by a passing cyclist who had just yelled “on your left.” The 62-year-old cyclist was not charged with a crime.
8. Police Investigate Possible Meth Lab in Va. Square (15,270 views) — A 225-unit high rise apartment building in Virginia Square was evacuated for several hours on a Monday night in August when police discovered a suspected meth lab inside one of the apartments. Two men were arrested and charged with Attempted Manufacturing of Methamphetamine. On of the suspects was a former USA Today technology writer.
7. Police Investigate Critical Pedestrian Accident in Clarendon (17,114 views) — A 27-year-old man from Collinsville, Va. suffered a severe head injury after being struck by a car in Clarendon. Numerous bar-goers witnessed the accident, which occurred on Clarendon Boulevard, near the Metro station, at 12:30 a.m. on a Saturday. Earlier this month, the victim’s father told ARLnow.com that his son, Michael Sizemore, is slowly but steadily recovering his cognitive and speech abilities.
6. Police: Man Sent Ex-Girlfriend Topless Photos of Herself (17,728 views) — A 27-year-old Arlington resident was accused and later convicted of taking a topless photo of his ex-girlfriend while she was sleeping. The victim told police and the jury that the suspect, Trevor Frye, emailed the photo to her following an argument. Fyre, who represented himself in court, was acquitted on a separate charge of unlawful entry.
Cuomo to Kardashian: You might be breaking the law.
While waiting for help, one man chose to entertain himself.
Check out the most expensive home for sale in the U.S. (Video)
This fox plays like a cat when he gets his paws on a golf ball. (Video)