Tim Bracken, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - The Washington Nationals are out of town this weekend, so there shouldn't be any unexpected slowdowns on Interstate 295/D.C. 295 and South Capitol Street near Nationals Park.
Travelers are in for Metro delays this weekend, with some Red Line station closures and lots of single-tracking.
Another hot spot for delays will be the Fairfax County Parkway near Interstate 66, where there will be construction closures.
Metro track work
Here is the latest from Metro:
- Buses will replace Red Line trains between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights stations.
- The Medical Center and Bethesda stations will be closed.
- Red Line trains will operate in two segments - between Shady Grove and Grosvenor and between Friendship Heights and Glenmont. On each segment, trains will operate every 10 minutes between 9:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Delays of at least 30 minutes are expected.
- Orange Line trains will single track between Foggy Bottom and Clarendon, and between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly.
- Throughout the weekend, Orange Line trains will operate every 24 minutes.
- Delays of at least 20 minutes are expected.
- Trains will single track between Foggy Bottom and Arlington Cemetery.
- Trains will operate every 24 minutes.
- Delays of 20 minutes are expected.
- Trains will single track between Fort Totten and Prince George's Plaza.
- Throughout the weekend, Green Line trains will operate every 16 minutes.
- Delays of about 10 minutes are expected.
Gov Mitt Romney visits Manassas, Va.
On Saturday, Aug. 11, an event featuring Mitt Romney will be held at the Harris Pavilion. The following streets will be affected:
- West Street will be closed for vehicle traffic from 4 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 11 until 7 p.m. from Prince William Street to Church Street. Center Street from West to Battle streets will be open to pedestrian traffic all day with the exception of potential impacts during the movement of the bus caravan.
- North bound Center Street, from Grant Avenue to Battle Street will be closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Pedestrian access to Katrina's Restaurant will still be possible.
Fairfax County Parkway and I-66 closures
Starting at 10 p.m. Friday, the ramps from both eastbound and westbound I-66 to the southbound Fairfax County Parkway will be closed for roadwork.
The closures will be in place all weekend, so expect delays on both I-66 and the Fairfax County Parkway.
Detour routes for access to the Fairfax County Parkway:
- Eastbound I-66 will be directed to northbound Rt. 29 to access the Fairfax County Parkway.
- Westbound I-66 will be directed to wesbound Route 50 and Ox Road to access the Fairfax County Parkway.
Through the weekend, southbound Fairfax County Parkway will be reduced to one lane between Fair Lakes Circle and the Route 29 interchange.
Dulles Airport Access lanes to close
Sunday night starting at 9 p.m., construction will close the eastbound Dulles International Airport Access Highway between the exit to Route 123/I-495 and the Dulles Connector Road.
Traffic will be forced to use the Dulles Toll Road, and tolls will not be collected for the remainder of that route.
The closure will clear at 5 a.m. Monday.
Also scheduled for Sunday night between 11:30 p.m. and 5 a.m., the eastbound Dulles Connector Road/Route 267 will be closed between the Beltway/I-495 and Route 123.
Traffic will be detoured to the Outer Loop of I-495, then to Route 123 to get back to th Dulles Connector Road.
Beltway construction update
Overnight paving continues on both loops of the Capital Beltway between I-66 and Georgetown Pike. Expect a minimum of two lanes getting by between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. After midnight, temporary total closures are possible for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Also scheduled for Friday and Saturday between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m., westbound I- 66 will have two lanes blocked between the Beltway and Gallows Road for ongoing bridge demolition. Temporary total closures for up to 30 minutes are possible after midnight.
I-95 HOV lanes closure
Starting at 9 p.m. Friday and continuing through 9 a.m. Saturday, the I-95 High Occupancy Vehicle lanes will be closed between Dumfries Road and Franconia Road for sign work. At 9 a.m. Saturday, HOV lanes will reopen in the northbound direction.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)