CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — The University of Virginia’s board of visitors says it will consider student-submitted proposals for how to use money from a $2.2 billion investment fund that has been the subject of recent criticism.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/2cHQoZb ) reports Vice Rector Frank Conner made the announcement Wednesday, responding to a letter of concern from the Student Council that students were not given a voice in the establishment of the Strategic Investment Fund.
Rector William H. Goodwin says the board will begin reviewing grant proposals on Friday.
Former rector Helen Dragas characterized the fund as a “slush fund” in a July column in The Washington Post. UVA says the fund is not connected to tuition or public funding.
State auditors told lawmakers last month that there was nothing improper about the fund.
Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, http://www.timesdispatch.com
Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.