WASHINGTON — A former Prince George’s County elementary school aide is already facing a host of state and federal charges related to child sex abuse, but even more charges could be on the way.
Deonte Carraway, 22, a former aide at Judge Sylvania Woods Elementary School in Glenarden, Maryland, who also had access to children at several other locations in Prince George’s County, is currently facing state-level charges over his alleged actions with just one individual.
“We’re still investigating the remainder of the victims,” John Erzen, with the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office, said Friday. “All of those cases are in front of the grand jury right now and hopefully within the coming 30 days or so we’ll have some additional announcements.”
Officials previously said Carraway made videos of children having sex with him and each other.
“There’s certainly more than one victim in this case, and since the state is handling all of the charges related to the various sex offenses, he could certainly be looking at many more charges for many more victims,” Erzen said.
Prince George’s County police have said there are at least 17 victims.
While the state is working on prosecuting alleged sex acts by Carraway, federal prosecutors are set to try him on child pornography charges. Erzen said the offices are working closely together, and that the case against Carraway was separated because federal agencies have more resources to analyze the numerous photos and videos that have been collected.
Federal mandatory minimum sentences on child pornography charges also would leave Carraway with significant jail time if convicted, Erzen said.
Federal prosecutors have charged Carraway with making sexually explicit videos of 11 children ranging in age from 9 to 12. He could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted on those charges.
In the federal case, Carraway’s lawyers have argued that a confession and evidence taken from two cellphones should be thrown out. They said Carraway has an IQ of 63 and didn’t have the capacity to understand the circumstances when he waived his rights and made his confession. Also, they said videos and photos were improperly taken from the phones.
The cases have led to lawsuits by parents, who say the school’s principal was warned about Carraway’s conduct and did nothing.
Carraway’s next hearing is scheduled for July 18 at Prince George’s County Circuit Court.
© 2016 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.