UPPER MARLBORO, Md. — The last of five men charged in connection with the robbing and fatal shooting of a 15-year-old boy in Hillcrest Heights was sentenced to 65 years in prison for his role in the crime Monday.
Tayvon Williams pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and two counts of first-degree assault among other charges for the death of Charles Walker in February 2013.
Walker was robbed and killed while walking home with a bag of boots he’d bought for his girlfriend for Valentines Day.
Williams pulled the trigger, prosecutors said.
“We have removed from our streets a ruthless killer,” said Prince George’s County States Attorney Angela Alsobrooks.
“Tayvon Williams is a person who inflicted terror,” said Alsobrooks.
During the sentencing hearing, Williams’ attorney argued his client had the intellect of a 10-year-old, and that he was willing to participate to impress his friends.
Prosecutors say Williams and four other men were riding in a stolen church van when they came upon Walker and decided to rob the teen of the boots he was carrying. Walker was shot in the back as he ran away.
The four other men pleaded guilty previously for their roles in the robbery and killing. Jermani Whitner was sentenced to 40 years for first-degree murder and assault. The other men’s sentences ranged between 10 and 20 years.
Williams received the maximum penalty allowed under his plea deal.
Walker’s mother Latasha Massey said outside the courthouse that she feels “some closure for my son,” but she’ll never get him back.
“This is eternal pain I feel,” Massey said.
Massey said she feels no sympathy for the 24-year-old Williams, who will spend much of his life in prison.
“I think he deserves every minute of it,” the victim’s mother said.