Former Redskins player Fred Davis pleads not guilty

WASHINGTON — Former Redskins tight end Fred Davis pleaded not guilty to charges that he assaulted an ex-girlfriend at a 24-hour diner in D.C.

In the early hours of June 2, court records say 28-year-old Davis ran into an ex-girlfriend with another man at The Diner on 18th Street Northwest. The woman claims that is when Davis walked up to their table, put his hands on her shoulder, twisted her body and said, “Why are you with her?” to her male companion.

According to a police report, the woman went outside and Davis followed. Outside, Davis picked up a handful of dirt from a flower bed, and threw it at her, hitting her in the torso, the police report says.

Surveillance video allegedly captured the altercation, showing the woman step back after Davis makes a throwing motion with his arm.

After that, Davis allegedly threatened the woman and the man she was with saying, “I’ll slap the [expletive deleted] out of you and your two chains boyfriend.”

The woman went to police the next day and a warrant went out for Davis, who lives in Leesburg, Virginia, charging him with simple assault and threats to do bodily harm. He turned himself in Thursday morning, and appeared in court Thursday afternoon.

“This is nothing more than a heated dispute in a public setting by two people who know each other,” says Davis’ attorney William Martin. “There was no assault, there was no threatening, there was no violence.”

“We’re outraged,” Martin says about the issuing of a warrant for his client’s arrest. “There was no need to chase him, no need to find him, he’s looking forward to a day in court when he can face these charges publicly.”

As for the woman, Martin says, “We think that the evidence will show that this young lady, for whatever reason, was trying to get back at Mr. Davis.”

Davis was released on his own recognizance and was ordered to stay away from his ex-girlfriend. He is slated to be back in court Aug. 28.

This is one of many problems for Davis this year. In February, the NFL banned him indefinitely for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Then, shortly after that, he was charged with a DUI in Tyson’s Corner. That DUI was dismissed in April.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up