WASHINGTON – Several localities in the D.C. area have opened up shelters in the D.C. area ahead of Hurricane Sandy.
FEMA also tweeted Monday morning that East Coast residents can search for shelters via text message:
#Sandy East coast, search for open shelters by texting: SHELTER + a zip code to 43362 (4FEMA). Ex: Shelter 01234 (std rates apply)
— FEMA (@fema) October 29, 2012
- Bald Eagle Recreation Center, 100 Joliet St., SW, 202-671-5125
- Emery Recreation Center, 5701 Georgia Ave., NW
- Guy Mason Recreation Center, 3600 Calvert St., NW , 202-727-7736
- North Michigan Park Recreation Center, 1333 Emerson St., NE,(202) 541-3526
- Deanwood Community Center, 1350 49th St., NE, 202-671-3077
The state has breakdown of where shelters are located across the state. Click here for a county-by-county list.
- Annapolis High School, 2700 Riva Rd., Annapolis, Md.
- Century High, 355 Ronsdale Rd. in Sykesville
- Winters Mill High, 560 Gorsuch Rd. in Westminster.
- Huntingtown High School, 4125 North Solomons Island Rd., Huntingtown, Md. (pet friendly)
Howard County Opened at noon on Monday, Oct. 29
- Bain Center, 5470 Ruth Keeton Way, Columbia, Md. (pet friendly)
The following will be open Monday at noon:
- White Oak Community Recreation Center (people and pets) at 1700 April La. Silver Spring
- The Activity Center at Bohrer Park (people only) at 506 S. Frederick Ave., Gaithersburg
- the Mid-County Community Recreation Center (people only) 2004 Queensguard Rd., Silver Spring.
Prince George’s County
- Charles H. Flowers High School, 10001 Ardwick Ardmore Road Springdale, MD, 20774 (Pet-friendly)
St. Mary’s County
- Great Mills High School (pet friendly/Fairgrounds across the street )
- Leonardtown High School (pet friendly)
- The Charles Houston Rec Center, 901 Wythe Street
- The Cora Kelly Rec Center, 25 West Reed Avenue
- The William Ramsey Center, 5650 Sanger Avenue
- The Lee Center, 1108 Jefferson Street
- Emergency Winter Shelter at 2049 N. 15th St. near the courthouse in Arlington. A-SPAN is letting the homeless population know.
- Salem Volunteer Fire Department, 13428 Scotts Mill Rd., Culpeper, Va.
- The Lee District Rec Center, 6601 Telegraph Road.
The county will make announce more shelter locations as conditions warrant.
For individual situations, Fairfax County says to call 571-350-1300 and explain the situaton. Individuals will be given help from the Red Cross. Additional shelters will be opened until there are significant power outages or flooding.
- Liberty High School, 6300 Independence Avenue, Bealeton — Opens 6 p.m.
The shelter will provide food, water, heat and areas to sleep/rest. Residents are encouraged to bring blankets, pillows, sleeping bags, Aerobeds. **This shelter is unable to accommodate pets/animals.**
Prince William County
The follow shelters will open at noon Monday:
- Stonewall Jackson High School, 8820 Rixlew Lane, Manassas, Va.
- Dr. AJ Ferlazzo Building, 15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Woodbridge. (pet friendly)
- Pets can be taken to the Prince William County Animal Shelter, 14807 Bristow Road, Manassas, Va. However, there is limited space.
City of Manassas
- Osbourn High School, 9005 Tudor Lane, will open at 7 p.m. Monday (pet- friendly)
- Gayle Middle School, 100 Panther Drive. (Feel free to bring your pet, but animal control will be there transporting them to the animal shelter.)
- Loudoun County has not released locations of shelters. They say they will announce once they have determined they are safe to open.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)