Tim Bracken, wtop.com
WASHINGTON – This weekend features several festivals and charity running events. The MS Challenge walk takes place on Saturday and Sunday, so watch for delays between Arlington and the District.
Metro delays are expected on the Red and Orange Lines, and a daytime closure of 11th Street SE near the Navy Yard could confuse some travelers.
Delays are expected on the Red and Orange lines due to track work. Here’s a summary from Metro:
- Buses will replace Red Line trains between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights.
- Red Line trains will operate in two segments – between Shady Grove and Grosvenor, and between Friendship Heights and Glenmont.
- Between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, Red Line trains will operate every 10 minutes. At other times, trains will operate at regular weekend intervals.
- On Friday and Saturday nights, the last Red Line train from Shady Grove to Grosvenor will depart at 1:58 a.m. — 32 minutes earlier than normal — to allow for shuttle bus connections. On Sunday night, the last train will depart Shady Grove at 10:58 p.m.
- Delays of at least 30 minutes are expected.
- Trains will single track between East Falls Church and Ballston, and between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly.
- Throughout the weekend, Orange Line trains will operate every 24 minutes.
- Delays of at least 15 minutes are expected.
Beltway construction update
Overnight road work continues on both loops of the Capital Beltway between Interstate 66 and Georgetown Pike. Expect a minimum of two lanes getting by between 9:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. After midnight, temporary total closures are possible for up to 30 minutes at a time.
I-95/I-395 HOV closure
Starting at 11 p.m. Friday and continuing through 9 a.m. Saturday, the Interstate 95 and Interstate 395 High Occupancy Vehicle lanes will be closed between Dumfries Road and Duke Street. At 9 a.m. Saturday, HOV lanes will reopen in the northbound direction.
11th Street SE closure
On Saturday between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., 11th Street SE will be closed between M Street and O Street while crews perform demolition work.
Traffic headed to Anacostia from M Street SE and the Navy Yard Area will be detoured onto the ramp at the intersection of M Street and 11th Street SE to southbound I-295, then to Howard Road SE to access Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE.
MS Challenge Walk
The MS Challenge Walk takes place on Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday’s route takes participants from Friendship Heights through the District and concludes in Arlington.
Sunday’s route begins in Arlington and concludes at the U.S. Capitol.
Barracks Row Fall Festival On Saturday the following streets will be closed starting at 7 a.m. and should reopen by 6 p.m.:
- 8th Street, SE from E to I streets
- G Street, SE from 7th to 9th streets
For more information about the event, visit www.barracksrow.org
National Book Festival
The National Book Festival takes over the National Mall on Saturday and Sunday, and will feature presentations from more than 100 authors, poets, and illustrators.
The Fiesta D.C. Latino Festival is scheduled between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday on Pennsylvania Avenue NW between 9th and 14th Streets.
The festival will feature five stages hosting music, folklore, theater and other performing arts. There will be special children’s events, a science fair, and sections for arts and crafts.
The Clarendon Day Festival is scheduled for between 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Saturday, and will feature live music, art and food vendors.
Cancer Prevention and Treatment 5K Run
The Cancer Prevention and Treatment 5K is scheduled for 10 a.m. Sunday.
The course starts at the C&O Canal Trail in Georgetown and finishes below the Key Bridge.
Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)