Driver fleeing traffic stop crashes into bus at D.C. line

The accident occurred at Pennsylvania and Southern avenues in Southeast D.C. (WTOP/Meg O'Rourke)
(WTOP/Meg O'Rourke)
(WTOP/Meg O'Rourke)
(WTOP/Meg O'Rourke)
(WTOP/Andrew Mollenbeck)
(WTOP/Andrew Mollenbeck)

WASHINGTON – Authorities say several people were hurt when a driver fleeing a traffic stop in Prince George’s County was involved in a crash with a Metrobus at the D.C. border.

Prince George’s County police say a crash occurred at about 4:15 p.m. at Pennsylvania and Southern avenues in Southeast. Police spokesperson Cpl. Mike Rodriguez says a car fled toward the District when an officer tried to stop it, and the officer did not pursue it because it was not stolen or involved in a crime. Rodriguez says the crash occurred moments later.

Witnesses had said the crash came after a police chase. One witness tells WTOP Prince George’s police were chasing two vehicles, and at least one of the vehicles went through a red light and hit a Metrobus that was going through an intersection.

“The car hit the side of the bus, and automatically everything came off the car, like the front of the hood, the windows bust(ed) — everything,” the witness says.

Prince George’s County police spokesperson Julie Parker says three people were in the car that fled the traffic stop. The driver is in custody, and Parker says D.C. police have charged him with fleeing and eluding police.

D.C. Fire and EMS spokesperson Lon Walls says six people were injured in the incident: one adult who suffered life-threatening injuries, and three children and two adults who suffered injuries that were not life-threatening.

Parker says an officer also was taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure. Rodriguez says the officer was responding to the scene when his car was hit by a driver making a U-turn. The officer has since been released from the hospital.

Metro spokesman Dan Stessel says the bus driver and four passengers suffered injuries that were not life-threatening.

Pennsylvania Avenue was blocked in both directions between Alabama Avenue and Southern Avenue, but reopened at about 6:30 p.m.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2012 by WTOP and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up