2 Salisbury University workers injured in fire in academic building

SALISBURY, Md. — Maryland fire investigators say two Salisbury University workers were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in an academic building on campus.

WBOC-TV reports that the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire broke out around 11:30 a.m. Monday in the library of Blackwell Hall and it took firefighters about an hour to bring the blaze under control.

Two employees were taken to a hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation.

Officials say the fire caused an estimated $300,000 in damage to the structure and another $200,000 in damage to its contents.

Deputy state fire marshals ruled the fire accidental and determined it was caused by an electrical switch failure in the basement electrical room.

Copyright © 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up