Gunman wanted for shooting 6 in Md., Del. in custody after manhunt

WASHINGTON — Law enforcement officials have apprehended a man who was wanted in Maryland and Delaware for shooting six people on Wednesday — killing three of them.

Radee L. Prince, 37, of Wilmington, Delaware, is in custody Wednesday night after a manhunt involving federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. Prince was found in Newark, Delaware, around 7:05 p.m., said Wilmington police Chief Robert Tracy.

Three agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives made the arrest.

“A coordinated effort brought this to a successful conclusion on a very, very bad day,” Tracy said. “And our hearts and prayers should go out to these families of the victims; the victims’ families in Maryland and also the shooting victim here in Wilmington.”

Two victims remain in critical condition at Shock Trauma in Baltimore, the Harford County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Wednesday night. The three victims who were killed have been identified: Bayarsaikhan Tudev, 53, of Virginia; Jose Hidalgo Romero, 34, of Aberdeen, Maryland; and Enis Mrvoljak, 48, of Dundalk, Maryland.

The final victim was shot twice, including once in the head, but he was expected to survive.

Authorities don’t know what prompted Prince to open fire inside his workplace at Advanced Granite Solutions just before 9 a.m. in Harford County, Maryland. The five victims were believed to be Prince’s co-workers.

Wilmington police said that Prince also knew the man he shot at a car dealership, 28th Street Auto Sales, about 10:45 a.m. The two had a history and Tracy said earlier that the two men’s relationship “went awry.” He did not elaborate.

“The thing that we did know is that he knew every one of the people that he shot, and he had some type of relationship, and they knew him,” Tracy said. He called the shootings “targeted” rather than random. While investigators still don’t know what prompted Prince to make the hour drive from Edgewood, Maryland, to Wilmington, Tracy said earlier that he headed straight to the dealership.

There was some concern that he could perhaps continue to shoot others he knew, but since the public was on the lookout for Prince, Tracy said that catching him was more of a priority.

Although no more injuries have been reported, Tracy cited concerns for the officers on the manhunt. “This is a desperate person. He’s already killed three people. He shot six altogether. And he still had a firearm on him.”

Tracy said police got a tip and found the suspect’s unoccupied getaway vehicle around 5:45 p.m. in Newark, in an area near a high school. Police also received several tips that revealed where Prince was walking; agents eventually found him and Prince tried to run off but was caught. He threw away a firearm during the chase that police have recovered.

Investigators were looking into Prince’s extensive criminal record to determine whether any past associates or those who might have testified against him might help track him down. In Delaware, Prince has 15 felony convictions and several misdemeanor convictions, Tracy said earlier.

There was a heavy police presence along Interstate 95 in Maryland and Delaware. Cruisers were stationed in medians and overhead highway signs displayed a description of Prince’s sport utility vehicle and its Delaware license plate.

Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler said earlier that the suspect had “committed one of the most heinous acts we’ve ever seen in our county.”

In a statement, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan called the shooting “tragic” and said that Harford County officials have the “state’s complete and full support.”

“The first lady and I ask that all Marylanders join us in praying for the victims, their loved ones and those still fighting to live.”

Hogan told The Associated Press that the survivors suffered gunshot wounds to the head.

Prince has worked for the granite business for four months as a machine operator, owner Barak Caba told The Associated Press.

Prince was fired from another job earlier this year after allegedly punching a co-worker and threatening other employees, according to The Associated Press. And his landlord filed a court petition seeking back rent multiple times in the past year — most recently in May, according to court records. He was also repeatedly cited for traffic violations and was ordered to undergo drug and alcohol counseling in recent years.

WTOP’s Sarah Beth Hensley contributed to this report. The Associated Press also contributed to this report.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

© 2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

More from WTOP

Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up