WASHINGTON — Something isn’t adding up on Maryland tax returns.
In recent weeks, Maryland’s comptroller’s office suspended processing tax returns from 23 Liberty Tax Service franchises and three private preparers.
Now, returns from other private tax preparation companies are being added to the list of questionable returns. Eleven firms at 14 locations in the state are involved; all had a high number of what the comptroller’s office calls “questionable” returns.
The issues that raised red flags:
- Business income listed when taxpayers did not own a business.
- Refund amounts far greater than those claimed in the previous year.
- Inflated wages and withholding information.
Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot’s office is urging taxpayers to look over their returns. You should be wary if fees are deducted from your refund, the tax return isn’t signed by the preparer or the “P-TIN” — the preparer taxpayer identification number — isn’t included on the form.
If you spot anything that raises questions, you’re urged to call the comptroller’s office:
- 1-800-MD-TAXES (1-800-638-2937); or
- 410-260-7980 in Central Maryland; or
- Email TAXHELP@comp.state.md.us
The comptroller stopped processing returns from these 16 Liberty Tax Service locations:
• 11262 Georgia Ave., Wheaton
• 200 N. Highland Ave., Baltimore
• 201 Back River Neck Road, Middle River
• 2039 W. Pratt St., Baltimore
• 2201 N. Charles St., Baltimore
• 2927 Emmorton Road, Abingdon
• 312 S. Broadway, Baltimore
• 3343 Belair Road, Baltimore
• 3414 Eastern Ave., Baltimore
• 3427 Dundalk Ave., Dundalk
• 435 C Eastern Blvd., Essex
• 4422 Park Heights Ave., Baltimore
• 6518 B Reisterstown Road, Baltimore
• 7305 York Road, Towson
• 7565 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie
• 8020 New Hampshire Ave., Langley Park
The above locations are in addition to these seven Liberty Tax Service locations:
• 7730 Wise Ave., Dundalk
• 2400 E. Monument St., Baltimore
• 1742 W. North Ave., Baltimore
• 2401 Liberty Heights Ave., Baltimore
• 1808 Pennyslvania Ave., Baltimore
• 3308 Greenmount Ave., Baltimore
• 503 W. Lexington St., Baltimore
Here are the three private preparers added to the the suspension list:
• EB Tax Services, 1809 Pennsylvania Ave. & 2322 Monument St., Baltimore
• B & B Tax Services, 4707 Harford Road, Ste. B, Baltimore
• DE Brown, 36B E25th St., Baltimore.
Additional information is on the Comptroller of Maryland’s website.
© 2016 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.